Banana bread isn’t just for containment, it’s for life.
Not only is this a great way to use overripe fruit, but it pairs perfectly with a mid-afternoon cup of tea.
Known for her super quick and easy recipes, Instagram pastry chef @cakeontherun shared her latest banana bread that only requires four basic ingredients.
Plus, it doesn’t need butter or oil, so it’s pretty healthy too.
In fact, it only contains 116 calories per slice.
The recipe below makes a bun and will provide five slices, but if you’re feeding unexpected visitors, just double the amount.
Likewise, if you’d prefer your homemade bread to be a little sweeter, we’ve added some tasty extras that you can add right before you bake it.
From nuts and dried fruits to cinnamon and chocolate chips, the advantage of this recipe is that you can customize it to your liking.
For more culinary inspiration, visit our recipe page.
If you’re obsessed with The Great British Bake Off and all things baking, you’re in luck like us too!
Our Bake On Bake Off newsletter is full of gossip and reactions from the famous TV show.
Plus, it’s packed with super quick and easy recipes that anyone can try out at home.
You don’t need any fancy ingredients or equipment, and some pastries can be microwaved in under a minute.
Most of the recipes are healthy, vegan, and gluten free.
It’s free and you’ll receive an email straight to your inbox twice a week.
Registration takes a few seconds – just tap here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Have you changed your mind? There is an “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
* Gluten free option – use gluten free flour
* Dairy free
* Little sweet
* 116 calories per slice
Banana bread recipe (one bun / makes 5 slices)
- 100 g (1/2 cup, 4 oz) self-rising flour
- 1 medium overripe banana
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of maple or golden syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / thermostat 4.
- Mash the banana in a bowl then add the flour, egg and syrup.
- Stir with a spoon until combined.
- Line a small baking dish or cake tin with parchment paper and pour the mixture into it.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy lukewarm.
Banana bread twists
Liven up your delicious breads by adding one of the following ingredients to the mixture just before baking:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- handful of chocolate chips
- A handful of chopped walnuts
handful of dried fruits
- A handful of fresh or frozen berries
TOP TIPS for the BEST Banana Bread
- 1 medium banana is about 100g.
- The spottier / darker your banana, the naturally sweeter it is, so you won’t need to add extra sugar. Overripe bananas are also much easier to mash.
- If your bread hardens a bit the next day, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds – it will get super soft. Alternatively, place slices in the toaster and smother with butter for a great breakfast option.
- If you don’t have self-rising flour, use regular flour with a teaspoon of baking powder.
- Ovens vary, so check your bread after 15 minutes. Check that it’s done by inserting a knife in the middle of cooking and if it comes out clean, it’s done.