halloumi bread recipe
Halloumi and bread go hand in hand and here is a fantastic Halloumopsomo (Halloumi bread) recipe.
– 600 x grams of plain flour
– 1 x beaten egg
– 1 x tablespoon of olive oil, extra for drizzling
– 7 x grams of yeast
– pinch of salt
– pinch of sugar
– 1.5 x cups of lukewarm water
– 250 x grams of Halloumi cheese
– Pepper to taste
– Put the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl.
– Make a hole in the center and add the salt, water, olive oil and egg.
– Knead the mixture with your hands, until you obtain a smooth dough. If it looks a bit dry, add a few more drops of lukewarm water.
– Place cling film on the bowl and let stand 30 minutes, while the dough rises.
– Meanwhile, cut your Halloumi into small cubes and preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
– Place a sheet of baking paper on a baking sheet and lightly sprinkle with olive oil.
– When the dough is ready, divide it into 2 equal pieces.
– Take a piece and place it on baking paper. Using your hands, gently form a base of a round shape.
– Place Halloumi all over the base and sprinkle with pepper.
– Form another piece of dough into a round shape and place evenly on the Halloumi base. Press the sides to close.
– Drizzle lightly with olive oil and put in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Halloumi cheese “banned” in Australia and the United Kingdom