A while ago I posted a recipe for slow cooker bread. I thought it was easy, but this no-knead artisan bread recipe is even easier.
The biggest downside to this recipe over the slow cooker recipe is that it bakes in a hot oven (450 degrees F) for 45 minutes. So if you’re looking to keep your kitchen cool during the hot summer months, the slow cooker recipe might be the answer.
I like the taste and texture of this bread recipe the best. Crispy and soft crust inside!
Type of cuisine: American
Preparation time: 5 minutes plus 3 hours to prepare
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total duration: 4 hours
Servings: Makes 1 loaf
Here’s how to do it:
- Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add hot water and mix with the dry ingredients. This gives a very soft and “shaggy” dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it on the counter for 3 hours (longer is OK). It doesn’t have to be a hot place.
- After 3 hours the dough will have puffed up and will have bubbles on top. Flour your surface with 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour. The dough will be sticky – add a little more flour on top of the dough. (A flat scraper help here.) “Knead” the dough several times using the scraper to slide under the dough and pull it up and down. No need for long kneading!
- Form a ball with the dough and transfer to a bowl lined with parchment. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let rest while you preheat your oven.
- Place a dutch oven in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. Make sure your dutch oven lid does not have a plastic handle and can withstand this heat. (Note: I don’t have a Dutch oven, so I tried using a small enamel roasting pan for turkey and it worked like a charm.)
- Once the oven is up to temperature, take the pan out and transfer the parchment paper and batter to the pan. Cover and return the pan to the oven for 30 minutes. This creates steam, which is the secret of artisan bread.
- Take the pot out at 30 minutes and remove the parchment paper. Return the bread to the pan, but do not put the lid on. Return to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes.
follow us on facebook to get daily recipes in your News Feed. Inspire and be inspired.
Related products on Amazon that we think you might like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.